Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Show 'Em Some Love: Basil L. Plumley

I placed this good gentleman's picture as a profile on my Facebook page, and only received one guess as to his identity. This is not Glenn Ford:

This is Basil L. Plumley. He is a real life hero, who passed away in 2012 at the age of 92. Here is a link to his Wikipedia profile: Basil L. Plumley

I found out about Old Iron Jaw from Sam Elliott's portrayal of him in "We Were Soldiers". I found it hard to believe that there was no embellishment of his record for dramatic purposes. Boy Howdy, was I ever wrong. Sadly, there is little written about him, Wikipedia listing eight (8) references, four of them obituaries, one a census record, and one a record of military enlistments.

I think it is sad that there is little written about him. I think he should be a subject of an individual chapter in every U. S. history textbook used in elementary and secondary schools throughout the nation. Let's put him into Common Core, his service to his country and dedication to service is something to be taught and pondered upon.

He, if still alive, I think, would probably object to it. That may be why there is little written about him. Real heroes serve quietly under dire circumstances and desire only to move on with their lives into more peaceful and less dire circumstances. That is what makes them heroes. Not just their service and actions in dire times, but their humility and anonymity afterwards. No limelight, please, just let me get on with my life probably being the outlook and state of mind. Perhaps I am selfish, but fine men like Plumley should have some of the anonymity removed, because their example is too great to be ignored.

jscarrsez@gmail.com